Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Heading West - Day Seven

After a lovely, home-cooked breakfast, Mom, Carrie, Chandra and I would proceed north towards Idaho. As we drove through New Mexico, Arizona and Utah the scenery just became more and more breath-taking. My mother loved Louis Lamore novels and she said it was just like being transported into one of his stories. We drove across Indian reservations and felt guilty when we saw where the American government had placed these proud Americans.
My favorite night of the trip was in Moab, Utah. It was hot and the area was all red dust and rock formations. We stopped at a lonely little KOA in the middle of the desert area and mom and the girls tried to swim for a while. The air was at least 100 degrees but the water in the pool was ice cold. Mountain run off from underground springs fed the pool and the girls could only stay in the water for a few minutes at a time. I decided I’d rather be hot!

The full moon rose from behind one of the large rock formations that night and I have never been able to find words descriptive enough to describe the beauty of that moonrise. I was speechless and just sat outside the Airstream until I could no longer stay awake.

No comments: